O Profanity. Who chooses to use it? For some, it is the intuitive adjective/adverb of choice when expressing one's emotions. For everyone else that has to listen to this expression, it is ear-grating, unsophisticated noise pollution.
In a customer service role, of course I'm gonna get sworn at. Expecting this, however, does not make the experience one bit more pleasant. No matter if the profanity is directed at you, at the situation or at frustration in general, it can easily put any receiver of those sound waves in a bad mood. Knowing how to overcome this mood funk is key to sustainable enthusiasm in service, but does this involve becoming callous?
I don't swear and I don't appreciate people swearing around me. People choose to swear; I can't control their choice. But I can mitigate the situation to be less profanity-inducing. This calls for higher skills in service, and that is something I will continue to work on.
When that doesn't work, though, I will scorn their language in my heart but double pleasantness in their face, so that they may feel shame and be rendered speechless, the opposite way.
No comments:
Post a Comment